10 July 2017

Sea Glass Turtle

If you follow me on Instagram or Facebook you might remember this piece...


You might also remember that I wasn't too sure about it.  this was my first attempt at a canvas board.  The background was created with Distress Oxide inks over top of gesso.  Then I felt compelled to draw the black seaweed.  This sat on my shelf in my studio for quite some time, and I never did fall in love with it.  SOOOO....

I PAINTED OVER IT!  

I started with a fresh coat of gesso, then I added some old book pages using Dina Wakley's gel medium.  Next, I added texture paste using a Waverly Inspirations stencil and added Distress Inks to achieve the look of mermaid scales on opposite corners of the canvas.  That left a middle that was a bit whiter than I wanted, so I took some Distress Oxide in Cracked Pistachio, smeared it on some cling wrap, spritzed with water and laid it down the middle.  From here I left it to dry overnight.


The next day when I removed the cling wrap I had this beautiful effect that looked like water.  After this, I was stumped with where to take the piece, so back onto the studio shelf it went.  I waited for inspiration to strike and worked on other pieces.


Inspiration struck last week when I got my order from Scrapbook.com, which contained the 6x6 turtle stencil from The Crafter's Workshop.  When I took this stencil out of the package I knew it was going to be the perfect way to complete the canvas on my shelf.

I laid the stencil in the middle, giving the illusion that the turtle was swimming between two mermaids, and slathered it with texture paste.


After the texture paste was dry I went back into the Distress Inks and Distress Oxides to give him color and make him pop.  The finishing touch was a bit of Art-C Acrylic paint dabbed on the turtle's shell to give a touch of sheen.


Once complete I sealed the project with Ranger Distress Glaze.  I've been asked if I'll be selling this piece and I just haven't decided about that.  It's already sold if I do decide to let it go.


No comments:

Post a Comment